The DiD Factory

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ok.

I'll kinda do a response thing:

I don't think that ability scores were a problem.

I certainly don't agree with the decision to not let beginning characters raise scores by one pt. Something to do with the invariable extra 1 or 2 skillpoints, and because of it, Vrill didn't begin with a 4/4 STR/CHA, but a 5/6. Slapping an extra rule on- in particular, a limitation- is bad and the sign of a broken system Mark. But I don't think this was a problem.

Basically, I think the question is: If you play a mundane, would you most often do what Dave did? If the answer is yes, I think it's uninteresting. Also, I don't see the fix as a patch. -It's akin to the 'one-grade-per-level' rule. I did consider allowing only one attribute to be raised, but that seemed too patchy. Also, humans get 5 extra ability points in part because they don't have initial attribute modifiers. -Letting them buy up shafts nonhumans a little bit. Maybe it helped Vrill Min/Max, or not have to buy a prof point instead, but I don't think buying up attributes on creation adds too much. Dave raised a serious issue created by the attribute-buying ability. I don't think it's a critical system issue, however.

I think that exponential scaling, as opposed to linear scaling, is generally a good mechanism. In particular, for spell creation costs and starting money.

I know you love random rolling, but take out random initial cash. Just make it CHA squared in silver. That's fine, and really sets apart the 4 CHA guys from the 14 CHA guys. Especially if you've minmaxed and made a great warrior... who can only afford a wooden shield and a dagger. 16 silver (4 CHA) vs. 100 or 144 silver is a big initial starting difference.

Yeah, you win. No random money. -Good point. Also, I will make the spell creation costs less linear.

Also or instead, CHA can influence initial starting costs. 5* (CHA - 10)% bonus, so if your CHA is 5, you pay 25% more, and if your CHA is 15, you get 25% off.

Too much like taxes.

Hedge spellcraft should be 1 for 1, not 3 for 2. 3 for 2 is a lame cost for any skill, really. The cost to make a Hedge spell should be 25% to 50% of Hermetic (25% cash, 50% time). What would be spectacular is a base cost and time, modified by rolls on Contacts, Spellcraft, Arcane Knowledge, and a trade skill such as Herbalism or Engineering, depending on the spell. Maybe when I'm bored I'll come up with an equation. Also, if you already know spells of a given type (Necro, Summoning, whatever), it should be mildly easier to make a similar spell.

Ok, ok, 1 for 1. You got it. I knew you would slam it when I wrote 3 for 2. I did decrease hedge costs already, but I'll adjust it to a non-linear system. Let's not get too crazy with those equations though.

Spellcraft as is, is totally broken. You basically have to master it (40 skillpoints) before it becomes worth it at all. REDO.

That's harsh. But, you are right it's too expensive. 1 for 1 for hedge. But, 2 for 1 for hermetic. -That's the cross they bear. How about this?: I will add modifiers for extra time spent. that way, you can take your time to improve your chances of success.

I agree with the move of Feint and Last Stand into abilities.

Thanks. It's much better.

Weapon Mastery was fine at +1, +2, +3, etc. Combat is supposed to hurt in this system, and next time we play, somebody will make a Faith healer, and I'm sure it'll totally change the dynamic.

Ed and I worked out damage levels. -They got pretty silly. Also, we think weapon mastery would be more about accuracy than damage done. Both yes, but skill with the sword is most about striking your opponent. I did add a new grade however. Weapon mastery is cheap too. As for faith healers, most healing is non-combat.

Untrained Healing is fine. Why remove? It's only 1 or 2 hp.

It's not just untrained healing. Some skills, like hypnotism can't be done unless you have some training. The profs say it when it's the case. I think it would be lame for every person in a party to try to hypnotize the goblin captive, even though no one has the skill. Same goes for after any combat. Everyone tries to heal everyone else and themselves? 5 people, 25 checks? Bleh. That would get old fast.

STR modifiers need to apply to thrown weapons and bows, in some capacity.

Ed and I talked about this. I was thinking about half. However as Ed said, a dagger doesn't hurt much more when thrown by a stronger guy. Also, spears are thrown with arc, and soon lose any momentum but the weight of the shaft. Bows are debatable, not too much difference, unless it's a big bow. Full damage doesn't make sense. Half is ok, but then you must round up or down, and separate your STR bonuses from weapon mastery, magic etc. -No, lets keep it simple.

Movement in combat is a big challenge here. More on that later too, but the problem ain't yet solved. Tricky players don't need rules to smack them down, they need a DM who can be just as tricky, no offense. What we had in the beginning was almost fine, but not quite.

Yeah. We need to talk this one out. However, I don't think moving post-action should be allowed. -It's oxymoronic. You acted. You are done. If you want to attack the goblin, then you are up in his face. If he isn't moving, you need to stay with him to fight him. Preinitiative movement can get paradoxical too, however. I touch heal you at 9, you run half your movement away and attack at 8? What if the guy next to me wants to touch heal you at 8 too?

Don't forget to change missile weapon ranges. Just check the damn internet.

Naw, maybe I'll just change the races to Smurfs. -Yeah. My bad.

I believe it, about the better Hedge Mage. I just wanted to crank out lots of spells to test the system, not make a well-rounded dude. SRSLY.

Well, our dude would have well-roundhoused Vrill's ass.
...

Next time, I'll DM, and we'll pick up right where Mark left off. Same world, same scenario, few tweaks, new chars if you want at level 3. That'll be, uh, September in Portland, maybe?

Actually, here's what I'm thinking for DiD Factory Round 3...

Sounds pretty damned good. Makes me feel like my adventure was pretty sophisticated. Damn, that tomb was so cool.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home