The DiD Factory

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mark: The problem, chummer.

One problem with Shadowrun was that you were looking for successes, not a total sum. "Like: You need three 8's to crack that ice chummer."

God, I should just use 'chummer' in this system. -It's so awesome.

The second problem was that you were rolling tons of d6's, and got a pretty flat result. Not too much variation.

That being said, I know what you are saying. At first, when I came up with this, I thought the same thing: "That's a lot of exploding d4's." But then when I tried it, I realized it wasn't so many after all.

Each die has a 25% chance of exploding. Even when you roll 5 dice, you typically are just re-rolling one or two d4's. -It's over surprisingly fast. And, unlike Shadowrun, you never get beyond 5 dice. Chummer, I remember using both hands to roll something like 12 d6's.

Anyway, I started re-editing the system with this mechanic, and everything suddenly got really easy to write. In fact, some skills and spells make a lot more sense. Some shit was very contorted before. Also, the fortitude and willpower change made it much easier. This is pretty satisfying. I haven't dropped the old, but I am going through the whole thing to see how this pans out.

It's so nice when a spell can give: "+1 to dodge, fortitude, initiative, and basket-weaving", rather than: "+1 to dodge, -1 to fortitude, +1 to initiative, and -1 to basket-weaving".

One nice additional thing, was that I made all the attribute bonus/penalty tables uniform. There's no good reason not to.

SRSLY, roll some d4's chummer. Here's a site to do it: http://rpg.norwinter.com/konkret/

You've got a target number of 10 to crack that ice, chummer. Corps are already through the first perimeter...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home