The DiD Factory

Monday, February 04, 2008

I appreciate it.

First off, I appreciate the thoughts.

Second, I kind of pulled 30-70 from my butt. It could be 40-60 as far as I know. I do know it is not 80-20. -I guess I could keep track.

Nevertheless, I think I understand where you are coming from. Levels are silly in that sense. In this system, each skill level provides just two things: 2 health points (until 10th, where it drops to 1) and 20 skill points. Depending on how you spend them, they could have little martial effect.

In fact, there's another facet to it that makes the level difference even less drastic. -Stick with me here:

Skill points are subdivided into Ability points and Proficiency points. Here's how they are awarded:

2nd: 12 ap, 8 pp
3rd: 13 ap, 7 pp
4th: 14 ap, 6 pp
.
.
.
10th: 20 ap

Ability points can be spent on Ability or Proficiency skills.
Proficiency points may only be spent on Proficiency skills.

Ability skills include things like Weapon Mastery, Spell Circle, etc. Proficiency skills are Climb walls Perception etc.

Anyway, the result is thus: Low level characters get less APs per level. Thus, their martial improvement is less per level. Higher level characters get more AP per level, however, their martial skills are more expensive (Ex: Weapon Mastery I costs 10, Weapon Mastery III costs 14), and due to the characters' increased power, these martial skills have less overall impact level-to-level.

As a result, it's a smooth slope up in power, rather than an exponential.

Does that make sense?

In short, I am saying that I also think levels should provide some, but not too much improvement. Two 3rd level guys should definitely be able to take one 5th level guy.

...

On a related note, there is also one important development caveat: Ability skills may only be improved once per level.

Ex: Even if Increased Willpower I costs 3 sp, and Willpower II costs 6 sp, a character can only get Willpower I upon a new level, even if he has the 9 skill points to spend.

As a result, a character can change direction of development, but not too abruptly. This causes some planning pressure which rewards thoughtful and gradual development. -A 8th level can't just realize "Hey my, Willpower sucks. -I'll make it awesome this level."

Interestingly, (to me anyhow) additional health points are an Ability skill. As a consequence, you can only buy 1 hp per level. ...kind of. You can also improve your endurance score once (+1 hp), and/or have a hp bonus due to a high endurance score. All in all, a character could gain a max of 6 health points upon achieving a new level. Ex: 2hp base, buy 1hp (cost: 2 sp), increase 18 end. to 19 end for 1hp (cost: 15 sp), and get the +3hp per level from the 18 endurance.

Players start with hp equal to their end. (4-16), so starting hps can make a big difference.

My biggest fighter has 50hp at 12th. The weak spell caster has 29hp. However, Olaf, who has 50hp easily wears banded and has a shield (absorbs 2-5 per attack). Artemis with 29hp can't wear armor very well. He has a low strength and no armor skills. If he wears armor, his spells might fail, and he's very easy to hit. He just takes it. -That's not considering any magical protections for either, however.

Maybe that's a bit thick.

Anyway, I do appreciate the thoughts. Let me know if you have anymore.

If you are ever inclined to peruse the latest version, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home