The DiD Factory

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

What kind of system.

Those articles are interesting. I scanned the first two and read the last.

I do agree that system matters. -I wouldn't have started this one if I didn't. I knew I liked something about each of the multiple incarnations of D&D, as well as our skill system. I thought a better, more elegant one could be constructed.

I think the guy makes a point. However, one needs to be wary of false classifications.

Employing his terms, I'd say this is more gamist system, with narrativist options. I think we've always played that way.

For me, elegance matters. Hence the Dodge score. However, so does common sense. Hence the armor absorbance. I want the system to be smooth, but not predictably so. I don't think a completely spherical system is interesting. Sometimes a quirk or two can add a lot.

That being said, I like how things are shaping up. I am not setting out to create an entirely unfamiliar system. I am trying to make one that is a little more intellectual than D&D, yet not by making it a simulationist type game.

I have already imagined a few characters I would like to make in this system.

Basically, I want to make a game that I'd play. I would be sad if all I could play was 3ed D&D. I want to make an underground better D&D-like system.

Did I mention I plan on getting Jeff Dee for cover art? I am serious. Check out his link on the DiDlinks page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home