The DiD Factory

Friday, December 01, 2006

I defer

Initiative: so then, mages should always defer to 0, yes? That way, no matter how long their spell is, it can't be disrupted except by other people going at 0.

Or maybe not. If a mage has a low, but nonzero initiative, anyone who acts faster than he does can't disrupt the spell. You can only defer to 0. So it's to a mage's advantage to always roll fairly low, then wait and see who's acting when, and cast a spell accordingly.

Well, I like it sort of, but it still seems a bit off. If I'm super fast, there's no way I can break concentration, unless I defer and pray the mage rolled very low.

If I was a mage, I'd want to make a magic item called 'Belt of the Snail': always go at -1 initiative. Then I'd never have to worry about anyone breaking concentration, except for guys with really low AGILs, but they'll be less likely to hit anyway. That's sort of funny... cripples might have the best chance to break a mage's conc.

Do you see the problem here?

This is also what I mean by slowing down the game. Obviously I'm not talking about how hard it is to do subtraction. I mean, a PC mage asking every round when everyone's going and taking forever to decide which spell to cast when. Not to mention NPC mages doing the same. You can't say 'well no one can know anyone else's initiative', because certainly for the DM, that's not true, and as a mage, I might want a skill that lets me assess turn order in a combat.

...

Whoa, a mage's Dodge is cut in half when casting? God, why not just make it so to buy Hermetic Potential, you have to start with the skill: "One Armed: you have one arm. Good luck!" Fuck that. Remove that rule. The more I look at this game, the more biased it is against casters.

By the same logic you're using there, archers should also have 1/2 dodge when they're firing. And doesn't it take time to target and aim a bow? How the hell can you use a bow when an ogre is bashing you anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home