The DiD Factory

Friday, December 01, 2006

I guess with named spells you know who to blame for mages sucking so bad

Quoting Mark: "As for the base 5'er, I figure the 'choosers' shouldn't have anything the 'rollers' can't, -even if those things are shitty stats."

Huh? The converse certainly isn't true- 'rollers' can have three 20s for example, which 'choosers' cannot. As it is, the rollers have a significant advantage, stat point wise, over the choosers. I'd say 5-6 points ahead, on average, but I haven't done the math, which isn't trivial due to the nonlinear scale (12 to 20 is much more expensive than 4 to 12).

I'm smelling personal bias and arbitration here. Just change it back. Choosing is more fun than rolling. (Especially when you're a DM making NPCs.) Trust me, I asked like five imaginary friends, so the vote is 6 to whatever.

...

On that note, you still haven't addressed two things:
1) why spell casting time?
2) why named spells?

Casting time was in 1E and we never played with it, except for spells that took a full round to cast. The motivation for this rule, which increases complexity and increases PC failure rate, is what exactly? Mages suck enough as it is.

As for named spells... doing things by raw vote is sort of lame. Can I hear some argument for why named spells make sense and are neat to have in a system?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home