The DiD Factory

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Not too bad, for a powergamer.

Well, I need to look over them some more, but at first glance, no one is too broken.

This does reinforce my belief that choosing stats is not a good thing, however. -It just encourages powergaming. I think I am going to make choosing the optional rule.

You shouldn't be able to buy 2nd circle when you start. Just like ability levels. -I need to clarify that.

Maybe strength needs a little help.

Ambidex should be 15 points. However, you are considering these things, like running, and agility where you can just choose your stats up to 20. -That really skews things.

Two of you six characters have 20's one has a 19, and two have 17s. I just rolled 5d4 60 times (twelve characters), and got three 17's and one 18. No 19's, no 20's. -It's a totally different game.

The skills are based upon the idea that 20's are insanely rare. You are right, why buy dodge or health when you can just give yourself a really high stat? However, if you roll stats, and they are based upon a bell curve, it becomes an issue.

I'll fix some 2 for 3 skills. They are annoying. Languages can be cheaper.

Running might be great against NPCs, but not so much against most creatures. Also, when you can't just choose to have the maximum human endurance possible at 1st level...

Seriously, I am thinking about just removing the choosing stat thing all together. This is a roleplaying game. The system is made to support a roleplaying game. It's not Mechwarriors. I hate to try to tweak the game again and again to prevent powergaming when you start off with a powergaming approach. -Choosing stats is either too shifted towards powergaming, or its too regulated to be meaningful.

I don't want to regulate everything just because some kid can make a sweet fighter with a 20 endurance.

BTW, here are six freshly rolled characters:

1: 13, 16, 12, 12, 14
2: 13, 8, 7, 14, 14
3: 12, 12, 13, 12, 12
4: 13, 7, 14, 12, 13
5: 10, 10, 14, 10, 10
6: 14, 11, 9, 7, 12

Those are the kind of starting stats I based the system upon. -None of those three 20's characters you were concerned about. Roll some up and get a feel for it.

Oh, I recall spending ability points on Jimmy's proficiencies as well. I'll check them again, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home