The DiD Factory

Monday, November 13, 2006

Feyness and fairness

Okay, still: why are you not giving out prof points or health points after 10? I don't agree. Also, after 10th level do you gain 0 hp/level, or no hp/level? The difference is, what if I have a 17 END, giving me +1 hp/level. When I get to 11th level, I ordinarily don't gain any health. Since I have a +1 bonus, do I now gain 1 hp that level? Or is it still none?

Oh wait, wait a sec. You can spend ability points as prof points, but not vice versa. I got it now. Okay, actually, I like that system. You should make a footnote to the table reminding people of that fact.

Still, I'd get rid of the mid-range 2 hp/level, and just give out 1 hp every level straight up.

...

I'm wondering about the relative balance between stats. Suppose three fighters meet. They've got 10s down the board, except one guy has a 20 STR, one guy a 20 AGI, and one guy 20 END. Do the bonuses from their stats all effectively cancel each other out?

For example, a +1 bonus to your AC is effectively cancelled out by a +1 bonus for me to hit. That's fair. And I guess, a +1 bonus to hit (+5%) should be offset by +5% hp.

Wow, you know, we could write some really simple computer code to test stats and abilities. We could just Monte Carlo it... have two warriors, A and B, face off something like 10000 times, and adjust stat bonuses and skill modifiers to achieve a tight balance. I'll try coding something in Matlab tonight.

...

One reason I like CHA is for symmetry. Game systems should display a level of symmetry that reflects the balance intrinsic to the system. By which I mean, if mage magic is tied to IQ, priest magic should be tied to CHA. 8 circles of mage magic, so 8 circles of priest magic. By the way, there should also be 8 circles of hedge and ritual magic. In the skill system, nothing should be intrinsically better or worse. Limiting to 5 circles is kinda lame. And I like replacing 'priest magic' with 'ritual magic', and 'ritual magic' with 'blood magic'.

...

And, 'feyness'?












Come on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home