The DiD Factory

Monday, November 13, 2006

Monkeys.

Well, let's get this flushed out, make some characters, and see if the health points are where they need to be. I do like plenty of HPs to be somewhat optional, however. Maybe you'd rather read ancient history and write poetry. Low HPs should be an option. My Hector straight-fighter example had something like 42 HPs at 9th level. -That's not too shabby. In v2.6 I did make the endurance bonus a little more forgiving.

As it stands, an unmotivated Endurance 10 character has 24 hps at 10th level. That's the bottom rung. I guess that's the same as d4. A Endurance 15 character would have 39, better than d6. However, don't forget the armor thing. -I think play-testing is in order. Armor made a real difference when Ed and I were rolling some combats. You might be surprised. Mages could feasible wear leather. -Or magical rings, robes or bracers might do the same. I am not saying HPs don't need adjusting, I am just saying some testing is in order first.

Besides, I like the notion that characters might be fragile lacking their plate mail or bracers of defense. -Put me in a suit of plate mail, hit me with a mace, ouch. Take off my plate and do it again...

And, there is the real possibility that casters might use spells for protection too.

As for magic and damage, I agree 3rd level fireball is ridiculous. I think we could possibly add an innovative element to the game here. We don't want spell damage to be utterly predictable, nor do we want it to be arbitrary. Maybe is should grow in spurts: Circles 1 and 2 not much difference, 3 and 4 some more, 5 and 6 even better, etc. We could then make some other elements, such as protection or magical travel grow in alternating spurts 1, 2 and 3, 4 and 5, 6 and 7 etc. -Spread out the love.

I do think that spells could increase in potency based on the caster's circle, but only minimally. -Not "1 die per" like fireball or MM. For Heal Minor Wounds, I made it d6 +1 per circle. It doesn't really increase the overall potency too much, it just makes the spell more reliable. -I think that's what a more experienced caster might be able to get out of a spell.

Another thing to consider when we make damage spells is resistance. One way to work damage spells up is not to just tack on dice, but to make their damage harder to resist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home