The DiD Factory

Monday, November 13, 2006

Paul tries to make his position more clear.

What I meant was that if you have gaming....as a Cha skill, and seduction, and diplomacy, and leadership, and a comfort skill, and initimidate, bluff, yada yada.
Well, I think that's going too far. In my system I have Rhetoric, that's it. There are other Cha skills, but Rhetoric in my system is the characters ability to speak persuassively. I don't like it when a lot of skills overlap. I think having firestarting, fishing, herbalism, trapping, blah blah is a waste of points for the players. In my system there is just Wilderness Survival and it can do all that. Sure I have Alchemy too, there are some places I have overlap, herbs are one example. I just think that by joining a lot of similar skills together people can take more of the other skills. The skills are the tools. Fewer skills equals more tools because the characters can only buy some many skills. If they have to buy 5 of them just to live in the woods it's lame. If you have to buy 5 Cha skills just to be able to be charming in each of the different situations you could be in, well that seems similar. I can understand how it might change a bit from sitting in a bar drunk playing cards to going to a lords house....but I'm ok with that. I don't like having to buy etiquette, diplomacy, persuasion, bluff, haggling, acting, gaming, just to be able to say that my guy is really charming. As it relates to knowledge skills I think that is why most people just end up buying World Knowledge in the end. If they want to play a character who knows about the world they want to be able to take one skill to represent that, if it can be done. I still have arcane knowledge, and Martial, and Religious, and maybe a few others. Think about stealth. Why have move silent and hide in shadows...

I hope that helps you understand, where I'm coming from. Fewer skills which cover more area gives the players more for the buck/skill point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home