The DiD Factory

Monday, November 13, 2006

Thinking thoughts.

Glad you got that ability/proficiency point thing. Yeah, I'll clarify. I'm proud of it as a solution.

1 hp/level straight-up seems a like fair resolution. I'll do that for now.

As for the 8 circles and 5 circles thing, I was thinking about the nature of the magic. Two types for hermetics, two for religious. I think ritual magic and hedge magic might be limited by their nature. As far as illusions go, 8th level ones are either ridiculous or too lame. -It just doesn't lend itself to high level stuff. Same with jinxes. These low level crafts seem to be the ones that get the most obsene if projected out over a lot of cicles. I thought a 5th circle top would make illusions make sense. Also, since shamans borrow their power, I think they ought to top out before a priest whom is the golden child of one specific deity. That's not to say 5th circle spells would be useless later. 5th circle is nothing to scoff at.

Balance doesn't always have to be in your face. A theurgist that runs out of circles to buy might start practicing that armor-use and with his rapier. At 15th, you might just find him casting in chainmail and cutting you down with a sword carrying a 5th circle enchantment.

I'm not set on 5 circles, I am just asking you to keep an open mind about it. I think Gary had "1st level magic-user spells" as a 7th level illusionist spell for a reason.

I should also mention that I am making an effort to make low leve spells interesting enough that many of them will be used at higher levels. Not necessarily due to their damage potential, but due to some other quirky things that aren't duplicated by high level spells.

As for names, I like ritual as ritual, because that's what it is. Blood magic sounds cool, but what if you are the Good Witch of the North? Priest magic might be better named 'faith magic' because that's what that is.

Feyness. Alright Mr. Thesaurus, give me a better one. Sixth sense?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home