The DiD Factory

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Justin

The setting stuff looks great so far. However, there is an issue which I feel needs to be addressed-

Namely, just how much of this stuff do players need to know in order to go on adventures in this world? A lot of RPGs these days invest so much time in creating detailed settings in order to fascillitate "shared experience" and "good role-playing" that the setting becomes completely unrelatable to anyone who hasn't read every damn sourcebook and novel and whatnot (Planescape and Exalted, I'm looking at you).

I agree with Mark that the setting info needs to be a little more broken up and compartmentalized- Out of that huge chunk on Thenzor's Deep, I saw a lot of cool stuff, but didn't really have time to catch my breath in between things. I have a vague impression of the cool stuff there- the cult which kills/buries/ressurects its holy people, the cavern with the magic gems, but what really sticks in my mind are the Arcanos-- the last thing to be mentioned. Maybe it should be more like a glossary- just say they worship the Arcanos (q. v.). The GM can look them up if and when necessary.

This really isn't a problem if you expect GMs to ignore lots/most of this stuff, but it all seems pretty heavily integrated. I'm wary of that, both as a GM who has tried to run overly developed settings and as a player who has tried to play in them. Still awesome though.

Hey Mark- mind if I look at the mechanics? I think blogger will let you send email to me through my profile, but otherwise I can just post my AOL address here. It gets enough spam anyway.

I don't mind if you'd rather keep this thing under wraps for now, as we've never met and all, but I can offer some good critique as the sort of kid who's actually going to be buying and playing this sort of thing. Let me know if you need help playtesting the rules, I'd be into that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home