The DiD Factory

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Justin

Glad to be on board!

Mark- The raindruid address should work just fine, I'll let you know if it doesn't. I'll also send you my name for the credit- I appreciate that.

I think a short player's intro is a great idea, one which could really help GMs who want to run a game in this world.

On Mark's comment on how one inherently creates a world through the core rules: I agree, I just want to make sure we avoid the White-Wolf paradigm here- making the rules completely inseparable from the setting- it made great games but ruined countless others, including D&D in the 90s. Narbohring isn't as tight with the core rules as I first thought, so I think we're avoiding this.

Monsters by terrain is a terrible idea, in my opinion. In fact, anything that restricts when a monster could potentially be used is awful. People are going to want a basic ecology, but I say keep it as broad as possible- some GM who wants to put Owlbears in a jungle adventure shouldn't have to fear rules lawyer reprisal cause the MM says their environment is "Temperate Forest Only" or whatever.

That being said, terrain is important. I was reading a post on therpgsite.com earlier today where a guy was talking about random terrain generators for a fantasy game he's published (called Forward... to Adventure! It's basically D&D for poor South American kids). The idea seems needless at first, but from what I saw, I think it'd be invaluable for open-ended wilderness adventure, which should be featured in a game called Wayfarers. Here's the link- http://www.therpgsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9087

I'll reserve other comments about mechanics/core rules till I've seen them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home