The DiD Factory

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rob

Gamers are a mixed lot, ya? There are those who really do want to find Mjolnir, and that's awesome. God knows I've gone to great lengths in a video game or two to get the best stuff. And then there are those for whom my slums campaign wouldn't have been gritty enough.

So, if you check out the 'Game Master's Guide to Narbohring' page, I've got a few sentences about random encounters. I've got Common (80%) and Rare (20%) encounters and a bunch of monsters; and then there are things listed for each of the main regions in the main text below. Not done with the regions yet, because god is it tedious.

Is this successful? If you look, you can see things like 'hunters', 'Duurans', 'performers' also in the encounter lists. Anything else I'm missing?

I think we're of like minds on this- I already have a few words on the role of random encounters in the game, on the same page. See what you think. But from the discussion below, I think I'm going to add something to the effect of: while yes there are ecosystems, and fish live in the water and ogres in the hills, the GM should, rarely, throw something incongruous out there. I think I have maybe even too many examples of this, shit like the ogre postman, the dwarf lumberjack were-jackal, and the small iron golem stuck in the mud in the middle of nowhere.

But I'm thinking now about all the shit in the Narbohring listing, and wondering if most of it is NPC- or monster-based... if so, could some miscellaneous stuff more place-related lend some additional depth? A small trapped tomb... a chasm with a broken bridge, etc.

Thanks guys, is helpful.

EDIT: Mark, the guide shouldn't be too much larger. The bulk of the entries is done, and I don't have a ton more time to spend inventing new stuff in the near future. Still- in the longer future, sure. Maybe we should have a, I dunno, a blog or something? Seriously, a wikipedia-style page? Maybe we can hire someone, pay 'em like $500 and have them turn the book into a wiki.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home